This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Disclosure page.
Table of contents
I have always loved ice cream, especially in summer. But if we're being honest... I don't always love making it. When I'm craving something sweet, I want it ASAP... not after 6-8 hours of freezing. But this no-churn bourbon salted caramel ice cream is 100% worth the wait.
My favorite thing about this no-churn ice cream recipe is that it doesn't use sweetened condensed milk. Condensed milk has a very particular cooked, milky canned dairy flavor which always reminds me, not unpleasantly, of white chocolate. Use too much of it though, and your ice cream will be queasily sweet. This recipe, however, doesn't have that problem whatsoever. It's basically the perfect no-churn recipe.
I made this ice cream with Domino® Golden Sugar; it's used in both the bourbon salted caramel and the ice cream base. Domino® Golden Sugar is made from pure cane sugar, is less processed than white sugar, and yet works cup-for-cup just like white sugar. It also imparts just a hint of molasses flavor making it SO perfect for making caramel. You can grab Domino® Golden Sugar on Amazon here! Or you can find it in your local grocery store! (Here’s a handy little store locator tool!)
How to Make No-Churn Ice Cream Without Condensed Milk
Most no-churn ice cream recipes use the popular method from Martha Stewart using 1 can of sweetened condensed milk & 1 pint of heavy cream. The method I use in this recipe, however, comes from Stella Parks and foregoes that condensed milk completely.
It begins with whipping heavy cream to stiff peaks. Once your whipped cream is ready, you'll whisk together eggs, sugar, and a pinch of salt over a water bath until they reach 160°F (70°C), which makes them completely safe to eat. From there, you'll use a stand mixer or hand mixer and beat the eggs on high speed until they've almost quadrupled in size. Then you carefully fold in the whipped cream until combined and it's ready to be frozen!
The result is a light and creamy ice cream with a hint of custard flavor. The texture using this method is SO much closer to real, churned ice cream; you may never want to go back to the sweetened condensed milk no-churn version!
How to Make No-Churn Bourbon Salted Caramel Ice Cream
There are two main components to this delicious, no-churn bourbon salted caramel ice cream.
Bourbon Salted Caramel
It’s important to make the bourbon salted caramel first in this recipe so it has time to cool down before you mix it with the ice cream base! The first ingredient for the caramel is Domino® Golden Sugar, which gets melted down over medium heat. This requires 1 small pot and a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula to stir the sugar with. Once the sugar has melted, cubed butter is carefully added, then the heavy whipping cream. After you stir for a minute or two, you add the salt, and the bourbon, then you’re done. The most amazing caramel sauce with such a smooth, buttery flavor; it’s basically liquid gold.
No-Churn Ice Cream
As discussed above, this no-churn method is a little different than what most people are used to! After you've beaten your eggs, Domino® Golden Sugar, and salt over a water bath to the heat-safe temperature and then whipped the mixture until it quadruples in size, you'll add the room temperature bourbon salted caramel and fold until combined. If you want to add a little caramel swirl on top like pictured, reserve about 2 tablespoons of the caramel, otherwise you can just add all of it! After the caramel and egg mixture is combined, very gently fold in the whipped cream. Then carefully spoon the ice cream mixture into a loaf pan or other deep bowl/pan and place in the freezer. That’s it! Super casual recipe here.
You can serve this ice cream in soooo many ways… build your own sundaes and top them with extra bourbon salted caramel sauce, or serve a couple of scoops with a number of delicious desserts like ultimate fudge brownies, or a mixed berry galette. OR you can be like me and stand next to the freezer eating your no-churn bourbon salted caramel ice cream straight out of the container while making dinner…. I won’t judge…
LOOKING FOR MORE DOMINO® GOLDEN SUGAR RECIPES?
CHECK THESE OUT!
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Salted Caramel Swirl Cheesecake Bars
Strawberry Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins
This post is sponsored by Domino Sugar. All opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for continuing to support the brands that help make ‘Mike Bakes NYC’ possible!
No-Churn Bourbon Salted Caramel Ice Cream
For the Bourbon Salted Caramel (yield- about ½ cup):
- 100 g Domino® Golden Sugar
- 45 g unsalted butter
- 60 g heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 25 ml bourbon
For the No-Churn Ice Cream:
- 240 g heavy cream chilled
- 4 large eggs
- 100 g Domino® Golden Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup bourbon salted caramel
- Make the bourbon salted caramel: Heat Domino® Golden Sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a high heat resistant rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Sugar will form clumps and eventually melt into a thick brown, amber-colored liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn.
- Once Domino® Golden Sugar is completely melted, immediately add the butter and stir until melted, about two minutes. (Be careful with this step because the caramel will bubble rapidly when the butter is added.)
- Very slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of heavy cream while stirring. Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute then remove from heat and stir in the salt and bourbon. Pour into a heat-safe bowl or glass and allow it to cool down before using it. (Caramel thickens as it cools.)
- Make the no churn ice cream: In a large bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, then transfer to the refrigerator.
- In a large heatproof bowl, whisk together the eggs, Domino® Golden Sugar, and salt, then set the bowl over a saucepan filled with just two inches of simmering water over medium heat. Do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Whisk the eggs and sugar constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture has reached a temperature of 160°F (71°C) on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes. The mixture will be thick and tacky at first, then thin out and become frothy.
- Transfer the egg mixture to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and add the vanilla bean paste. Beat on high speed until the mixture has quadrupled in size and is thick enough to briefly mound up like soft-serve ice cream when dropped from the whisk, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Fold in the bourbon salted caramel until evenly incorporated into the whipped egg mixture. Then carefully fold in the prepared whipped cream, working gently to incorporate it as thoroughly as possible without deflating the base.
- Carefully spoon/pour the ice cream mixture into a deep, freezer-safe container or bowl, such as a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Cover tightly and freeze for at least 6 hours and up to 2 weeks.
MikeBakesNYC LLC owns the copyright on all images and text and does not allow for its original recipes and pictures to be reproduced anywhere other than at this website unless authorization is given. If you enjoyed the recipe and would like to publish it on your site, please re-write it in your own words, and link back to my site and recipe page. Read my Disclosure page. This post may contain affiliate links.
This ice cream is so rich and creamy! I will for sure be using this method from now on, it's so delicious. It's also dangerously easy to make lol
I want to make this for thanksgiving but want to make sure I’m measuring correctly. Looks like 60 grams of heavy cream is only a little over 2 ounces or half a cup. Is that really all the cream that is needed?
You'll need 60 grams of heavy cream for the caramel which is ¼ cup, and you'll need 240 grams (or 1 cup) of heavy cream for the ice cream. If you look in the recipe card right underneath the last ingredient, there's a button/link to display the ingredients in U.S. customary measurements instead of metric. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! I think this might be the perfect accompaniment to deep dish apple pie.
Crazy delicious ice cream recipe!loved that its without condensed milk
This is the BEST no churn ice cream recipe. I’ve said goodbye to those overly sweet condensed milk ice creams, and made this one twice in a month?.
So much better than the condensed milk version, I agree! SO glad you enjoy it as much as me ?
I made this 2 days ago and WOW! Thank you so much for this! I'm about to try this method with pistachio paste - wish me luck!
Glad you like it! And let me know how it goes!! I love pistachio ?