Can you even believe that we’re into the month of April like this? Like where has the time gone?!
2019 is honestly going by so fast!
I took a trip to the local drugstore (read: Duane Reade) last weekend because I ran out of sugar and didn’t feel like putting up with the typical Sunday rush that occurs at my local Whole Foods. (Seriously guys… it’s NOT okay… there are over 8 million people in New York City, and I swear that at least half of them shop at the Whole Foods closest to me. But I digress…)
Duane Reade’s rows of plastic eggs, pastel candy, and colorful fake grass, which I cannot stand because it inevitably gets EVERYWHERE and is impossible to clean up, reminded me that Easter is JUST around the corner! I very well couldn’t just let the holiday pass without making something festive… so I used it as my excuse to stock up on some of my favorite Easter candy. I’m talking Reese’s peanut butter eggs, Robin’s eggs, and Cadbury mini eggs. You know… the holy trinity of Easter candy, if you will.
While on the subject of Easter candy… *potentially unpopular opinion* — malted Robin Eggs are better than Cadbury Mini Eggs.
Hear me out… Cadbury eggs, both regular and mini, may be the definitive Easter candy (or maybe it’s Peeps… god, I love Peeps), but c’mon… malted milk balls covered with chocolate and coated in a hard candy shell? What’s not to love?! They’re such a pleasant surprise to people who think they’re just biting into solid chocolate.
But… this recipe clearly utilizes Cadbury Mini Eggs because the idea of dark chocolate, fudgy brownies with little pops of melted egg-shaped milk chocolate got me super excited. And so… these Mini Egg Brownies were born.
These brownies are fudgy and bursting with chocolatey goodness. And hey, Easter only comes once a year, right? So you NEED to make these brownies ASAP!
If you’ve been looking for an easy Easter treat to try, you can’t go wrong with these simple, yet delicious Mini Egg Brownies.
As always, read the recipe before beginning and keep an eye out for the next recipe! 😉 Have fun and get cooking!
Mini Egg Brownies
Rich & extremely fudgy, these Mini Egg Brownies are a simple and effective way of turning the humble brownie into a pretty Easter treat.
Makes: 16 brownies
- Grease an 8×8-inch pan with butter, then line with parchment paper, leaving overhang on all sides. Grease the parchment with butter, then set aside.
- Combine the chopped chocolate and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter to a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until the butter just comes to a vigorous simmer, stirring occasionally. Immediately pour the hot butter over the chocolate mixture and let sit for 2 minutes. Whisk until the chocolate is completely smooth and melted, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to preheat to 350°F.
- Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and eggs in a large bowl. Beat with an electric hand mixer on high speed for 10 minutes.
- With the mixer on, pour in the slightly cooled chocolate mixture and mix until smooth.
- Sift in the flour and remaining cocoa powder and use a rubber spatula to gently fold until just combined. Fold in about ½ cup of mini eggs.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining mini eggs on top and bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the brownies comes out fudgy but the edges look cooked through, about 30-35 minutes. The center of the brownies will seem underbaked, but the brownies will continue to set as they cool.
- Allow brownies to cool completely in the pan.
- Use the parchment paper to lift the cooled brownies out of the pan. Cut into 16 bars and serve immediately.