I have plenty of cookie recipes on my website, but I realized that one iconic bakery classic was missing: the sugar cookie. That's why I decided to add these easy sugar cookies to my cookie collection. These drop-style vanilla sugar cookies are simple, quick, and delicious. It's a one-bowl recipe that yields 10 large, perfectly chewy cookies. They require minimal effort and are ready in no time.
What are Drop-Style Cookies?
Drop-style cookies are a type of cookie that is made by scooping up and dropping or placing the dough onto the baking sheet before baking. This method is quick and convenient, requiring minimal effort and time. On the other hand, cut-out cookies need to be rolled out flat first before they are cut out and placed on the baking sheet. While both styles produce delicious results, drop-style cookies are preferred by many, including myself, for their simplicity and ease of preparation. However, if you're looking for something even easier than drop cookies, then you should try making my sugar cookie bars.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Butter: The one and only. All good cookie recipes need it.
- Granulated sugar: This recipe uses just 1/2 cup of sugar!
- Light brown sugar: Just 1/4 cup is needed; the molasses in the brown sugar helps contribute to the chewiness of these cookies. Feel free to replace it with an equal amount of dark brown sugar if that's all you have on hand!
- Eggs: You'll need one large egg and one large egg yolk; the extra egg yolk is what helps make these cookies so perfectly chewy.
- Vanilla: I like to use vanilla bean paste; however, you can use an equal amount of vanilla extract.
- All-purpose flour: No fancy flour is needed for these sugar cookies!
- Baking powder + baking soda: Helps leaven our cookies and creates a soft, chewy texture.
- Salt: Sugar cookies made without salt can taste overly sweet and one note, so don’t skip it!
- Sparking sugar: This is what I prefer to roll the cookie dough balls in before baking, however, you could also use regular granulated sugar.
How to Make Drop-Style Sugar Cookies
These no-fuss drop-style vanilla sugar cookies are really easy to make and come together quickly. Here's how you make them!
Note: I post my recipes in grams as it’s the most accurate way to bake, and it’s how I develop them. Cups are not only inaccurate, but they vary in volume worldwide! If you look at the recipe card underneath the ingredients list, however, you can click “US Customary” and it’ll convert to volume measures!
No-Fuss Drop-Style Vanilla Sugar Cookies
- 113 g unsalted butter softened
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 55 g light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 190 g all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Garnish: sparkling, demerara, or granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars together until combined and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk and mix until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined; be sure not to overmix!
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line another baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a large 3-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop the dough into balls and place dough balls on the lined baking sheet.
- Roll each dough ball in sugar, if using, and bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.