This Copycat Levain Bakery Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies recipe is pure chocolate heaven! It’s the ultimate make at-home version of the popular cookie sold in NYC and definitely lives up to the hype.
After posting my Copycat Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, I got quite a few requests asking how to make the chocolate version! And since there are few things I love more than chocolate and peanut butter (see: Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting and Peanut Butter Brown Sugar Layer Cake with Chocolate Fudge Buttercream), I figured why not also post this recipe here!
If you are a true chocoholic, you can substitute the peanut butter chips for dark, semisweet, or milk chocolate chunks, which will give you a true Copycat Levain Bakery Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. You’re getting 2 for 1 here, people!
TIPS FOR MAKING COPYCAT LEVAIN BAKERY DARK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CHIP COOKIES:
- Use cold butter. Now, I am not saying to throw a stick of cold butter into the mixer and hope it will incorporate with the sugars. Nope. The key is to cut the butter with a knife into small cubes, making it easier to cream with the sugar.
- Use good high-quality cocoa. These cookies don’t require a lot of ingredients, so the ones you use should be really great.
- Use a mix of cake flour and all-purpose flour. When you use cake flour, it creates a more TENDER crumb on the cookie which creates a mouth-watering texture.
- Bake at high heat. You want to shock these cookies with high heat so they don’t spread too rapidly. It helps keep their shape and makes those crispy edges.
Copycat Levain Bakery Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold and cubed
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg cold
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp black cocoa powder
- ½ cup cake flour *
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until combined and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the cocoa powder, black cocoa, flours, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt, and use a rubber spatula to gently fold until just combined. Fold in the peanut butter chips.
- Separate the dough into four large, 6 oz hockey-puck-shaped cookies about 1.5 to 2-inches thick, then place onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Bake for 14-15 minutes or until the cookies are puffy and the exterior appears set. Let them rest on the cookie sheet for at least 10 minutes to fully set before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
MikeBakesNYC LLC owns the copyright on all images and text and does not allow for its original recipes and pictures to be reproduced anywhere other than at this website unless authorization is given. If you enjoyed the recipe and would like to publish it on your site, please re-write it in your own words, and link back to my site and recipe page. Read my Disclosure page. This post may contain affiliate links.